Saturday 1 December 2012

College. To quit or not to quit

Hey guys,
So, I need a little help. Im thinking of quitting college.
I do an Art and Design course
The project is about ourselves, and what makes me myself, things i like, things I dislike etc.
We have to draw portraits, self portraits, anatomy etc
Here are the main reasons why I want to quit:
-I draw manga styled artwork. The tutors say this is not art
-They have threatened to give me low marks if I keep drawing manga
-The project seems to be more about realistic portraits even though I was told that comic/manga illustrators will have a place in this course
-The teachers don't understand my style and put my artwork down all the time except for the Photoshop tutor who understands my style.
-When I applied for the course, the same teacher who reviewed my work and called it "interesting, edgy and brilliant" Is the same one now telling me I'm pretty much destroying my overall grade by illustrating ._.
-I have been drawing manga for about 11 years and it's very hard for me to suddenly change my style.
-I already know how to use photoshop, so sitting in photoshop class is pretty tedious lol.
-I feel like Im being discriminated against
-Mum wont let me quit
So not only do I feel like Im being ridiculed, I feel like Im wasting my time and I badly want to quit.
What do you think? ;_;

(first time writing a post on my phone XD)

Keep rockin' baby!
~Kyou


9 comments:

  1. That's awful! You should get a huge discussion with them because if they don't agree with your art style then what's the point of attending college and taking their art course if they don't help you? But I don't think you should quit college for this reason - it's just giving them more idea that you're not passionate!
    Kenny here thinks you should fight! :D xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are going to have a meeting at college about this next week.
      I think they are just really narrow-minded and old fashioned :<
      Thank you kenny, I'll stay and continue being me <3

      Delete
  2. Wow, your teachers are dicks, how can they treat you like this and think its okay??

    I don't think you should quit though. Stand your ground, show them what you're made off.

    You should go and have a meeting at he college with your parents because that's not acceptable. You deserve to have the best marks just like everyone else

    Stay strong hun x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They suck :<

      I am going to stay, I still have a little fight left in me that tells me not to quit.
      We're going to have a meeting next week so hopefully everything gets better

      Thanks Usagi <3

      Delete
  3. Wow, I can't imagine your teachers saying those things to you!
    I think they should know that everyone has their own style to make things!
    I'm sure your drawings are amazing, they just can't get over your personal style..
    But I think your mother is right- you shouldn't quit. Maybe it now feels useless and awful to be there, but it's better than do nothing. I guess you don't have another plan for schooling if you quit this course? Because it's important to be studying somewhere, something, than quit now and have no another plan as to what to do.
    I hate my current high school and I've wanted to quit for two years but my mom doesn't let me. Now, I'm near graduation and I'm grateful for my mom who didn't let me do what I wanted. I don't know what I would be doing, or if I would be doing anything useful, if I would have been able to do as I wanted. Be strong ^-^
    P.S. I really like your blog and your style!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree, thank you for understanding. I wish the tutors didn't treat me like this but there's not much I can really do about it, they will just have to get used to it.

      This makes me realise how important it is to pass this course whether the teachers put me down or not. I'll just keep on doing my thing :)

      Thank you so much, I will most likely be staying :3

      And thank you for the compliments xD <3

      Delete
  4. What would you do if money was no object ? To this day I find this one of best piece of advice I ever received regarding career choices...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the link, it really made me think harder about things :3

      Delete
  5. First time reading/looking at your blog! Let's just say that I added on my favorites list. ^_^ I am a college student as well and I believe that this is something that EVERY student goes through. However, at the end of the day I stay simply because I'm too stubborn to quit. I like seeing things through, that's just me. However, I do agree with you. Coming into college I had a very technical, analytic, yet concise writing style. Now being in my junior year, I feel like that I had to dumb down my writing a lot because professors except their students to write a certain way...then complain about how poor writers we are. -_- That being said, I hope that the meeting went well! And my advice to you, don't quit! Hopefully you don't have them as often now, but just know that whenever you have those doubts about being in school, you're certainly not alone! And when you get out, you'll be better equipped to do what you want to do!

    ReplyDelete